Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Years Night in the Shenendoah Valley (#3)


New Year's eve was a busy one for us. We finished cleaning out our erstwhile home at 9:30pm then traipsed the last mini-van load of stuff up the second story stairs of our new place. Now the big question was, should we accept the invitation from church friends to come to their New Year's party. I piled a bunch of sleeping children into the van and away we drove into the moonlit night. I'm glad we did...we had a memorable time of fellowship, games and sparkling Concord grape juice. There is something special about celebrating the turning of a year, and a decade, with friends. This is our third New Year in the Valley, that exotic, romantic place I used to hear about in songs and lore. Now it's actually home? No way!

In our home, our hearts are warmed and filled with anticipation for God's work in our lives in the coming year. Time is a precious gift from God, which I seek, in turn, to fill with gifts that please Him. As I get older time really feels more precious. Maybe that's partly because I allow myself to look back and regret the ways that I have sometims squandered time in the past. Heaven forbid that I should waste any more hours with just random or thoughtless activities.

Today was interestingly just the usual stuff, considering that it's a national holiday and a day of spiritual reflection. We did get out an old hymnal and sang several New Year's songs. Got out of bed early to fix broken electrical items at work, cleaned out horse stalls, gave a homeless gentleman a ride to a hospital, and split firewood with my very promising wood cutting crew. Wow, something about woodsplitting makes me feel young again. I love the smell and comfort of wood heat too, in our incredible simple, yet cozy dwelling. Praise God for a warm house.

No comments:

Post a Comment